Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Day 1

If you don't know already, I've set a goal to write 200 quality words, for 21 days. Sounds easy, but try doing this alongside all of my homework.


I will admit, I am by no means highly competitive. However, this was not always the case. When I was young, winning was very important. It usually came easily, too, because the only competition available was often my little brother who lacked both skill and decorum. So, as a result, I often expected everything else to be quite similar. Tae-kwon-do was a skill easily perfected, excepting the mock sparring, in which I merely placed high enough and relied on the technical precision of form memorization. Swimming too was usually won, although there was no real prize or glory, just a few ribbons with your name on it, thus making that sport unimportant. But when competing against those significantly larger, faster, and stronger, I was often frustrated and angry. But something has been altered.
I find now that I enjoy the sport for the sake of the sport. It makes no difference whether I achieve victory or not. It remains more important on whether I keep plugging away. At the same time, I tend to shy away from contests. If there is outside pressure for me to perform, I see no need to follow their direction. I make my own paths, with my own power, because I choose to.

1 comment:

Gabriel said...

That's not how I remember it...Haha, remember when we competed in Chemistry... =P

Keep going! 4,000 left to go!