Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 5

If you don't know already, I've set a goal to write 200 quality words, for 21 days.
Tomorrow is mad ape day. Write everything using words that have three letters or less!

20 or 30 years ago, if I was doing what I’m doing now, I would be considered counterculture. I would be the evil kid who steals your daughters and converts your sons. I would be a punk rocker, a heroin injecting, badass kid and looked down upon because of that. Apparently, some still think my lifestyle is similar to that, apparently because of the way I walk, talk, and dress. Yes, surfing is now considered cool. However, somewhere out there, it’s likely that a small group of people still retain the Nixon era of belief. Isn’t it awesome that the majority now appears to be the rebels?
Of course, what is counterculture today? The increasingly liberal society, while perhaps morally wrong, allows for a much broader and accepting mindset. Only those who can be considered counterculture are those who challenge the rules that have stood since the beginning of mankind. Murder, assault, and rape are still taboo, even in the worst parts of the world. But a time used to be when being counterculture was cool. Being a pseudo-gangster is cool. Actually doing what breaks all the rules is not cool. Because then there will be no rules, and in a world without rules, there are no rebels.

No comments: