Friday, May 8, 2009

Day 4

If you don't know already, I've set a goal to write 200 quality words, for 21 days.
It's hard out here for a writer.

Today, my parent’s small group discussed what they would feel and do after their kids grew up and went into college. It appears obvious that certain parents will keep a close eye on their kid. My parents, sadly, remained mostly silent on this subject, but I’m pretty sure they’ll let me free. But how much contact will I have after that? Biola isn’t too far from home, yet far enough to not live at home and commute each day. It seems pretty clear that the occasional weekend visit is in order, but do I really need to be calling them each day? Every other day? I assume that at the point I’m in college they’ll realize that I lead my own life.
A focal point of discussion was the planning and support that the parents could provide. As a child I was highly independent. I can make critical decisions under pressure. Every day I make sure I accomplish and complete what I need to do. But without the pressure and reminders put on by my parents, can I still maintain this level? It seems to me that most of that pressure and reminders, however, deal with household items and fulfilling other’s needs. Perhaps it is safe to conclude I’ll be fine on my own.

No comments: